Photo Exhibit of Island Photographers
Hosted by Harbour City Photography Club
The View Gallery
Vancouver Island University
May 25 – June 15, 2018
Photo Salon is part of a worldwide system of photo competitions and recognized forums for exhibiting the best works of photographers, open to club and non-club members. A panel of judges adjudicates the digital images and, if accepted, the photographs are printed, hung and evaluated for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placement. Winners receive awards and recognition of achievement from CAPA. There is also a “people’s choice” award. Photo Salon showcases the commitment, achievement and outstanding work produced by photographers in the region. It will motivate others to excel in their craft and promote the enjoyment and appreciation of photography in the wider community.
The competition categories described below have been established for the following reasons:
- Entrants can see their photographs grouped into categories based on subject matter.
- Competition photos are easier to judge on an objective basis if the subjects are similar and the criteria within a category are consistent.
- When you enter a photo into a specific category, you are asking that your photograph be judged according to the definition of that category.
Guidelines for all Categories
- Images may be in color or monochrome.
- Information in the category description pertains to the primary subject of the photo.
- Post processing is permitted in all categories.
- Any family friendly title is acceptable. Titles are considered a part of the image and may influence a judge either positively or negatively.
In post production, do not add your name, copyright, watermark, image title, URL, or any other identifying text to the image itself
All photographs will be judged on visual interest, how well they portray the subject, fit the category definition, technical excellence (both in camera and post processing) and original or personal interpretation of the photographer. Judges will not move an image from one category to another.
Judges will look for artistic images that show our natural world in all its variety – from large scale to intimate views of landscapes, seascapes, wildlife, stars, geological formations, weather, botany, and aquatic species. Incidental appearances of man-made objects (fence, trail, pole, etc.) do not disqualify images from this category.
Judges want strong and evocative photographs of people that convey emotion and/or personality. Images in this category show a person or small group of people either isolated or in context of a place. They may be candid shots or highly controlled studio shots or anything in between.
Judges will focus on visual impact, artistry, composition, technical excellence and the use of the photographic medium as an art form. Images in this category have no subject restrictions. Images that could be legitimately placed in a different category are equally acceptable in the Open Category.
$10 for each image submitted to be juried.
$10 for each image selected for hanging.
Payable to Harbour City Photography Club, cash or cheque to the treasurer in person; or Mail to: HCP Club, PO Box 957, Station A, Nanaimo, BC V9R 5N2. (Do not mail cash)
October 15 to February 15: Submit images to firstname.lastname@example.org
February 16: Images are forwarded to judges for adjudication
February 25: Participants are notified of judges’ decisions
April 15: Catalogue is compiled
May 23: Prints are delivered to VIU
May 24: Prints are juried
May 25: Opening Night Awards Ceremony, 7 pm
June 28: Prints are picked up
Phase One – Digital Entries
- Participants may enter up to 3 images.
- The entry fee is $10 for each image to be juried (non-refundable).
- Images are accepted for judging when the fees are paid.
- Images must be sized to a maximum 1050 pixels vertical and 1400 horizontal, regardless of orientation, and include
– your name
– title of the image
– size of the image when printed
– category to which it belongs
- A team of three judges will evaluate all entered digital images.
- Judges will not know the artist’s name, and may choose all or no images from the same person.
- Submit images to email@example.com before February 15
Phase Two – Print Preparation and Delivery
- The hanging fee is $10 per print, payable upon notification of acceptance.
- Print size must be a minimum 8 x 10 inches or a maximum of 36 inches on the longer side, including frame.
- There must be no identifying marks on the front of the image.
- Photographer’s name, image title, and sale price (if applicable) must be on the back.
- Images may be mounted on foam core, metal, canvas, or wood laminate.
- If framed, they must have black or white mat and black or white frame. No glass.
- Hanging hardware must include picture wire that is fastened with “D” fasteners;
- eye hooks or toothed hangers are not acceptable.
- Prints must be delivered in person to the VIU View Gallery, Building 333 on May 23.
- A map and details regarding parking will be provided closer to the date.
Phase Three – Photo Salon 2018 May 25 – June 15
- Prints are numbered and catalogued with corresponding thumbnail images.
- Catalogues include artist’s name, contact information and selling price, if applicable.
- The gallery does not take a commission; any sale requests will be directed to the photographer for a private transaction.
- Prints will be formally judged on May 24.
- Opening night is May 25, where winners are recognized with prizes and ribbons.
- Gallery hours are Monday – Friday, 1 – 5 p.m.
- Prints must be picked up on June 18.
Caveat: The Harbour City Photography Club and Vancouver Island University will not
be held liable for prints. Owners are responsible for their own insurance if they so desire.
For More Information