PHOTO SALON 2018
A Photo Exhibit by Island Photographers
The Harbour City Photography Club
Vancouver Island University
The View Gallery, Bldg 330
May 28 – June 15
1 – 5 pm, Monday – Friday
Photo Salon is part of a worldwide system of photo competitions and recognized forums for exhibiting the best works of photographers, open to club and non-club members. A panel of judges adjudicates the digital images and, if accepted, the photographs are printed, hung and evaluated for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd placement. Winners receive awards and recognition of achievement from The Canadian Association of Photographic Arts (CAPA). There is also a “people’s choice” award. Photo Salon showcases the commitment, achievement and outstanding work produced by photographers in the region. It motivates others to excel in their craft and promotes the enjoyment and appreciation of photography in the wider community.
All photographs are judged on visual interest, how well they portray the subjects, fit the category definition, technical excellence (both in camera and post processing) and original or personal interpretation of the photographer.
Judges look for artistic images that show our natural world in all its variety – from large scale to intimate views of landscapes, seascapes, wildlife, stars, geological formations, weather, botany, and aquatic species. Incidental appearances of man-made objects (fence, trail, pole, etc.) do not disqualify images from this category.
Judges want strong and evocative photographs of people that convey emotion and/or personality. Images in this category show a person or small group of people either isolated or in context of a place. They may be candid shots or highly controlled studio shots or anything in between.
Judges focus on visual impact, artistry, composition, technical excellence and the use of the photographic medium as an art form. Images in this category have no subject restrictions. Images that could be legitimately placed in a different category are equally acceptable in the Open Category.
How it Works
- Participants may enter up to 4 images.
- The entry fee is $10 for each image to be juried (non-refundable).
- A team of three judges evaluates all entered digital images.
- Judges do not know the artist’s name, and may choose all or no images from the same person.
- The hanging fee is $10 per print, payable upon notification of acceptance.
- Print size must be a minimum 8 x 10 inches or a maximum of 36 inches on the longer side, including frame.
- Catalogues show the artist’s name, contact information and selling price, if applicable.
- The gallery does not take a commission; any sale requests will be directed to the photographer for a private transaction.
- Opening night is May 25, where winners are recognized with prizes and ribbons.
- Free parking in Lot G with Photo Salon permit (obtained from gallery hosts).
- Thanks to the generous donations of our sponsors, there are 10 prizes in total – 3 in each of the 3 categories and 1 People’s Choice award.
- From CAPA there are Gold, Silver, and Bronze medals and Honourable Mention ribbons for each of the 3 categories, as well as a People’s Choice ribbon.
- Placement in each of Nature, Portraiture, and Open Categories
- First: Gift certificate for a 30″ x 40″ giclee print, valued at $225.00; Gold Medal from CAPA
- Second: Gift certificate for a canvas or framed print, valued at $150.00; Silver medal from CAPA
- Third: Gift certificate for a framed print, valued at $100.00; Bronze medal from CAPA
- Honourable Mention: Photo Salon plaque, CAPA Ribbon
- People’s Choice (overall): Gift certificate for one night stay for two at Chateau Victoria, valued at $425.00; Photo Salon plaque, CAPA ribbon
Island Exposures, Parksville
Canvas Plus, Ladysmith
Studio 1867, Wippletree Junction
London Drugs, North Nanaimo
Yellow Bird Art Gallery
Royal LePage Realty
Saul Hilchey, RBC Dominion Securities
Dave Hammond, RE/MAX of Nanaimo
Origin at Longwood
Nanaimo News Bulletin
For More Information